If you have been discussing the possibility of orthodontic care, you have probably heard the term “malocclusion.” Malocclusions are also called “bad bites,” or misalignments with your teeth and jaw. Bad bites can be caused by a host of issues: the environment, oral accidents, genetics, bad habits, improper oral hygiene, or a number of other things.
Not all malocclusions are created the same. Malocclusion types can be differentiated as malocclusions of the incisors (front teeth), and malocclusions of any other part of the mouth. Here are some common malocclusions in each category:
Malocclusions of the incisors:
– Underbite: When your lower front teeth protrude past your upper front teeth. This can also be referred to as “bulldog teeth.”
– Misplaced midline: when your upper and lower incisors don’t line up.
– Overbite: When your upper teeth protrude past your lower teeth; sometimes called “buck teeth.”
– Open Bite: When biting down, your upper and lower incisors fail to connect.
Other forms of malocclusion:
– Crossbite: if your lower jawbone sticks out past your upper jawbone.
– Transposition Malocclusion: When teeth come in above the gum line, but in the wrong spaces.
– Rotation Malocclusion: If your teeth slip and slide out of their proper alignment.
– Spacing Malocclusions: This refers to irregular gaps in your mouth, overcrowded teeth, or large gaps between teeth.
If you suspect a malocclusion, talk to Dr. Molayem. Our orthodontics team will discuss possible treatment plans with you. To schedule an oral exam with our team at our orthodontic office in Beverly Hills, CA, please contact Beverly Hills Braces at 310-278-9101. We look forward to helping you soon!